Discharge during intercourse


Question
My partner has commented that the discharge I have during intercourse is occasionally excessive, and of a different consistency to normal.

Is there any reason for this?

It doesn’t happen very often, though its happened twice in the last few days. I also have a fishy smell today, which I intend to use Canesten pessary for as advised by my GP in the past.

Could there be a connection with that?

My period for the last two months has been much heavier than usual and with dark brown discharge instead of usual bright red.

I put this down to trauma for an accident I had.

Answer
I am sorry to hear about the fact that you have had an accident, although you don't say what it

was or what injuries you received, which makes it a little difficult to be very precise about what I can tell you.

It is of course normal for there to be an increase in vaginal secretions during sexual excitement and intercourse, and this can vary from time to time, perhaps reflecting your hormone status and time of your period cycle.


Sometimes it can appear excessive, but if it is clear and not offensive, this is nothing to worry about.

You mention a fishy smell, this is unlikely to be due to thrush, which is what Canesten is for, so this may not be the answer.

This type of odour may mean there is a urinary infection, in which case I would expect you to have pain or frequency of passing water, or an infection in the vagina, such as bacterial vaginosis.

If your discharge occurs at other times than during intercourse, and remains offensive in smell, then you really should tell your doctor about this.

You would have an examination, and probably a vaginal swab and urine test taken to see if there is any infection present.

It is quite likely that the change in your periods is due to your accident. Trauma and stress can certainly upset the periods, and it may be that the associated hormonal upset is responsible for your vaginal discharge.

I am sure it is nothing serious, but if it persists, do go and see your GP.
Source: netdoctor.co.uk

Start typing and press Enter to search